Monday, April 27, 2020

Magical Mondays: Roll20





Welcome one and welcome all! It is Monday, and we are back with Magical Mondays.

If you’re just tuning in for the first time, this series will be posting every Monday on all things magical! This includes Magic: the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, and anything else in the realm of magic.

This is post #4 so go ahead and look back through the blog to find the past posts. Along the way you might even see some other cool stuff the rest of the library staff are working on. Give it a go!

This week we’re continuing with the awesome topic of D&D. Unlike MTG, my knowledge is pretty sparse on D&D. I gave you some basic information in the last post, but it is definitely more involved than it seems. 

I’ve played a handful of times, but I have never been the DM, or Dungeon Master.

To prepare for this video, I realized how little I knew about the prep work that goes into making a campaign for D&D. However, the storytelling and artmaking that happens when you are the DM is super cool!

Now, if you’re a regular in the D&D world, you might have already heard of this program. If not, it is a really awesome way to get back into it with your usual playgroup while following social distancing guidelines.

If you’re not a regular, welcome to this crazy world of becoming characters! It’s fun, and the internet is here for you with the site called Roll20 (https://roll20.net/).

Some of the games that Roll20’s system supports.


Alright, onto Roll20. I will say, it isn’t the easiest interface to learn, but that’s why I’m here! 

I also want to let you know that even though this post is D&D themed, Roll20 is great for any kind of RPG, not just D&D. And though D&D is inherently fantasy driven, there are RPG games out there where you play as pirates or focus on war as human soldiers or really whatever story your DM makes.


So a lot of Roll20 is learning the menus and where stuff is. I go through a bunch of that with you, but that’s pretty boring, and I really don’t want my videos to be boring. However, this is a tutorial so it may be boring anyways. Roll20 also has their own tutorial, but I think my angelic voice is better than their non-speaking dialogue boxes.

However, my focus for showing you Roll20 is to keep it free and fun, even though they give you a bunch of options for buying campaigns.

You’ll see that I’ve added my own drawings (doesn’t it look like I’ve majored in art?) of characters and maps, and uploaded some character sheets I made on 

Have fun with the video! I hope you’re able to get going with some campaigns faster than I’ve been able to. Don’t be discouraged, it takes some messing around, but once you got it, you got it.
Good luck and see you next Monday for all things magical!




~

Email me with questions, suggestions, to talk about Magic, or just to say hello at alandry@cwmars.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment